Health care for foreign citizens and for citizens not registered with the National Health Service
Health care for foreign citizens
Citizens of EU and non-EU countries with a valid residence permit are entitled to healthcare. To register with the National Health Service (SSN) and be issued a health card, you must contact the healthcare district and present your residence permit. Entry to the SSN is valid until the expiry date of the residence permit.
Foreign nationals awaiting regularization have the right to be admitted to the SSN for a renewable period of six months, until the residence permit is issued.
Non-EU citizens in an irregular position may apply for STP (Temporary Stay Foreigners) card, which entitles them to receive urgent healthcare. This card is issued by:
- Administrative services of the individual health districts;
- Admissions offices of the Central Emergency Department and the Obstetrics-Gynecology Emergency Entrance of the Padua City hospital;
- Abano Terme nursing home;
- The Department for Dependencies Sert – via dei Colli 4, Padua;
- Public Soup Kitchen, via N. Tommaseo 12-16, Padua;
- Nocturnal Outpatient Clinics, via del Torresino 4, Padua.