The Unit of Urologic Oncology addresses the diagnosis, treatment and research of male and female urinary tract cancers (kidney, ureter, bladder, urethra) and of the male sexual apparatus (prostate, testicles, penis) without neglecting aspects of general urology, primarily prostatic hypertrophy.
The management of the surgical therapeutic path is multidisciplinary. In fact, every patient is taken care of by a team comprised of urologists, oncologists, radiotherapists, radiologists, nuclear physicians, pathologists, stomal therapists and rehabilitation specialists. These professional figures follow the patient at every phase, from diagnosis to surgery, to functional rehabilitation (continence recovery, ostomy management) and sexual rehabilitation (after prostatic / radical bladder surgery), to follow up. Also, dedicated staff manage the booking of preparatory exams and visits; thanks to this organizational model, preoperative hospitalization is minimized because preparation for surgery mainly takes place on an outpatient basis.
The Urologic Oncology ward is comprised of 20 beds for ordinary hospitalization, week surgery and day surgery, so as to satisfy all therapeutic, invasive diagnostic (e.g. prostatic biopsy) and follow-up (e.g. control cystoscopy) needs.
The surgical / endoscopic activity, for a total of about 1,200 operations every year, is usually carried out with minimally invasive and laparoscopic techniques. The unit also organizes periodic refresher courses for medical specialists of the GUONE (Uro Oncological Group of the North East) and both specialized and informative conferences for citizens.
The conditions treated in this unit include: penile cancer, prostate cancer and renal cancer.
- Kidney tumors: radical and conservative surgical treatment of the organ, with traditional or video-laparoscopic techniques; laser treatment of urothelial tumors of the renal excretory pathway.
- Urethral tumors: radical and conservative surgical treatment of the organ, with traditional or video-laparoscopic techniques; laser treatment of superficial urothelial tumors.
- Bladder tumors: endoscopic treatment of superficial neoplasia; instillation of chemo / immunotherapeutic for the prevention of relapse; radical surgical treatment for infiltrating tumor (radical cystectomy) with external urinary derivation or bladder reconstruction (neo-bladder) (stomal therapy and andrological rehabilitation).
- Prostate tumors: management of active surveillance protocols; radical surgical removal of the prostate (radical prostatectomy) with 3D video-laparoscopic techniques. Andrological rehabilitation.
- Prostatic hypertrophy: endoscopic or surgical treatment.
- Penile tumors: surgical treatment of superficial and advanced disease.
- Testicular tumors: treatment of early and advanced disease.
Dott. Antonio AmodeoDirigente medico
Dott.ssa Claudia Giovanna CargnelDirigente medico
Dott. Oronzo RomanoDirigente medico
Dott. Tommaso SilvestriDirigente medico